March 13, 2010

Love and Respect.

Traveling to Africa has been a dream of mine for as far back as I can remember. Peter and I have been talking about going to Africa in May for ages now, and I must say I get emotional just thinking about it. This past week we got in a bit of a heated discussion about flights and costs, and I was extremely short with him and my tone was not so nice. I hurt him with my words, and he hurt me with his, and the cycle of hurt ensued throughout the day, until we were able to resolve things face to face. By the grace of God, things were discussed, sorted and reconciled within minutes. The bottom line was that he felt disrespected by me and I felt unloved by him.

Just a few weeks before this whole incident Sarah had been telling me about this book called Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs. Within the book they discuss the woman's desire javascript:void(0)to be loved and the man's desperate need to be respected. I will be reading this book soon and will post my thoughts on here.

Anyhow, one thing I have learned is that marriage is a journey and this was one of those moments where we were blessed by the grace of God. It may have taken us longer to reconcile and we may not have fully forgiven and received forgiveness with such ease if Christ wasn't at the center of our relationship. But He is and because of that He is present in our lives, our joys, and even in our arguments, and He is especially present in the way we love and respect each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...