August 2, 2011

Scones.


This past weekend I woke up with the need to knead.  And I figured what better to accompany our breakfast than homemade scones.  I scoured all my cookbooks.  And I vowed I wasn't going to look to the internet for a recipe, but instead, I would find one within the pages of my books.  And alas, my Essential Scottish Cookery book came through!


Here they are!!
I didn't get a single scone picture, but I did omit the lemon juice.  Figured it wouldn't be too big of a problem, and it wasn't.  I added cinnamon and vanilla instead.

Scone Recipe

Ingredients

4 cups plain flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
i/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 2/3 cups milk

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a clean, dry mixing bowl.  Add the diced butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine, evenly textured breadcrumbs.
2.  Whisk the lemon juice into the milk and leave for about 1 minute to thicken slightly, then pour into the flour mixture and mix quickly to form a soft but pliable dough.  The wetter the mixture, the lighter the resulting scone will be, but if they are too we they will spread during baking and lose their shape.
3.  Knead the dough lightly to form a ball, then roll it out on a floured surface.  Using a cookie cutter and dipping it into flour each time, stamp out 12 scones.  Place them on a well-floured baking sheet.  Re-roll any trimmings and cut our more scones if you can.
4.   Brush the tops of the scone lightly with a little milk then bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.  Remove the baking sheet from the oven and wrap the scones in a clean dish towel to keep them warm and soft until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...