March 27, 2012

Irish Fry.


St. Patrick's Day is definitely a day that is celebrated in this Irish home!  Normally we have a party of some sort where we eat Irish treats and other green desserts, while drinking Irish beer.  This year we decided to change things up a bit, and we invited people over for breakfast!  This isn't just any breakfast, but a Full Irish breakfast, also known as an Irish Fry.

So what exactly does an Irish Fry consist of you may ask?

  • bacon
  • sausages
  • black and white pudding 
  • fried egg
  • tomatoes
  • mushrooms
  • potato bread
  • baked beans

Most of these ingredients you can find at your typical grocery store.  However, we made a special trip to Galway Traders, an Irish shop in Ballard, to buy a few key ingredients - bacon, sausage, and pudding.  You may be thinking ...bacon?? You can buy that at the shop...and I am here to tell you that according to my husband it's different.  It's more like Canadian bacon rather than thin strips of bacon, and yes, the sausages are different too.


This my friends is an Irish Fry (minus a few items).  And this is what we made for breakfast on St. Patrick's Day.  I am NOT a huge fan of mushrooms - so we didn't even buy those, and I am not a huge fan of black pudding - so you will not see that on my plate.

We made potato bread and soda bread from scratch - first time for everything!  I think we just got the recipes on allrecipes.com to be honest.  Nothing too fancy, but they were both good if I do say so myself.

Happy belated St. Patrick's day everyone and if you want a hearty breakfast, consider cooking up an Irish Fry!

xoxo, 

Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...