December 9, 2013

Books.


I know you are going to look at this list and think how does she find the time?  And quite frankly even I don't have the answer to that question!  I suppose I just make time?  I mean I make the most of the time that I have. 

And it's not unusual to find me reading while I'm brushing my teeth, washing my face.  It's not unusual to find the book hovering on the edge of the bathroom sink.  It's not unusual to find the book on the kitchen counter, while I'm making breakfast.  It's not unusual to find the book beside me on the kitchen table, while I'm feeding Jack.  And it's not unusual to find me using my phone as a flashlight so that I can read the book in the dark while I'm feeding Jack and putting him to bed.

Plus, it helps that I really love to read!

So I figured I should start sharing the books that I've read.

These are the books I've read over the last 2 months.  I wish I could give you reviews on all of them, but let's be honest, I don't think it would be worth my time or yours.  So just click on the links and go check out what Goodreads has to say.

The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls.  This was good, not what I thought it would be at all to be honest.  Have you read anything else by Jeannette Walls (Glass Castle, Half broke horses)?  And enjoyed it?  If you have, then I think you would enjoy this book!

Fly Away by Kristin Hannah.  I first found Kristin Hannah when I read Winter Garden (loved this book).  She's a local author, I think? Or maybe she just writes alot about the Pacific Northwest?  Anyhow, alot of her books have references to Seatte, Washington, etc.  A few others by her that I enjoyed...Firefly Lane (read this first before Fly Away) and Night Road - I have pretty much read all the books she has written and they all start to sound the same after awhile, kind of like Nicholas Sparks!

Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman.  This book warrants it's own blog post, but seeing as how I read it about a month ago, and I didn't write anything down, that hope will have to be dashed.  Read it!  It's written by an American journalist living in Paris.  And as I was reading it, I thought to myself, if I was going to write a book, it would be something like this.  Definitely worth your time! 

Inferno by Dan Brown.  Just finished this and if you like Dan Brown's other books, Da Vinci code, Angels and Demons, then you will like this.  Easy read.

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.  This was a book club book, and it was good.  I think I was hoping for something more considering this is the guy who wrote the Kite Runner - one of my all time favorite books.  A good read though!

Buried in the Sky by Peter Zuckerman.  Now this was good, if you like these kind of books - climbing trip gone wrong.  It's about K2 from the Sherpas perspective.  Really interesting, and somewhat similiar to John Krakauer's Into thin Air.

The fault in our stars by John Green.  This was good - a kind of coming of age book, young adult book.  So if you aren't into that thing - don't bother, but I did enjoy it.

Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford.  And yet another book I had high hopes for seeing as this is the guy that wrote one of my favorite's - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  It's a nice story about a son finding his bother, but I thought it was a little boring if I'm honest.

And last but definitely not least...the moment you have all been waiting for...the book that I would definitely recommend...

Divergent by Veronica Roth. And if I'm going to recommend any book - THIS IS THE BOOK!! I loved this book so much. It's a series (there are two more after this) and the movie is coming out early next year. Kind of reminds me of the Hunger Games. I read this book in a matter of days - one of those I stayed up really late for and couldn't wait to open it up when I woke up in the morning. Definitely hovered on the bathroom sink while I got ready for work.

Happy reading,

Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...