December 14, 2011

Family History.

Do you ever wonder where you come from??

I do ALL the time.  And I don't know what it is about family history, but it intrigues me…ALOT.  I love old photos and I love hearing old family stories - and it doesn't matter if they are the stories of my ancestors or someone elses.  I don't discriminate.  I love them all the same.

Well I guess that's slightly a lie because there is something special about hearing your own stories.   I love hearing about my grandmother's childhoods - one grew up in Seattle and the other in Puerto Rico.  I love hearing about their family dynamics and what their parents were like.  I love hearing about what they were like.  And I especially love looking at old photos - trying to place everyone into the various families and trying to see if I can see myself in any of their faces.

The fact that I have a thing for my family history is common knowledge amongst my family - so it didn't surprise me when my aunt handed me a packet of papers on Thanksgiving, titled the story of John Joseph Lucks and Louisa Krosinsky Lucks.  I was excited to peruse the pages - so guess what I did the next morning?  I googled them, and guess what - I found something!  Crazy isn't it?  I mean they were born in the 1830s and there was information online about them.  It was just a chronological family timeline, but STILL.  I was surprised and attempted to create my own family tree in my head to figure out just WHO I was related to.

So many things I didn't know - so many things my mom didn't know.  I discovered that my great-great-great grandfather (that sure is a lot of greats - took me awhile to figure that one out!) Josef Lux was born in Prussia, which is now Germany, along with my great-great-great grandmother.  they both came to the states in the 1850s, and settled in Minnesota - who knew I had family in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  And it was between 1865 and 1868 that the name of Lux was changed in spelling to Lucks.

So the story goes.  Johann Josef Lux and Louisa Krosinsky are my great great great grandparents.

Then they had Oscar who is my great-great-grandfather.

And then Oscar had Carl Williams my great-grandfather

And then Carl marries Violet and they have 3 children (one of them being my grandma!)


And then Grandma marries Kenneth Dabney Moores and they have my mom.


And my mom marries Brian Wayne Buskirk and they have me!


So that's a bit of my family tree dating back to the 1800s.  What's your family history?

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have to tell Maggie about this because she has a business that makes family history books...and her books are INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...