January 14, 2013

Little Buddy: 35 weeks!


Today, Little Buddy is 35 weeks, and yes I know I should start referring to him by his name and yes I know he was born on January 6th - so technically he is 8 days old, and I suppose I should probably start referring to him as 8 days old rather than as 35 weeks, but even the nurses here still refer to them as their gestational age.  Each day matters and each week makes a difference!

And as I sit here and type, Peter is out in the visitor's room trying to figure out if the cough and the congestion is from allergies or if he is coming down with something, while I am hanging out in LB's private room.  He is sleeping and making some sweet noises while he sleeps in his little home away from home.  

And with each word I type, I fight back the urge to cry.  Yes, I know he is being taken care of and yes, I know he is in excellent hands, but that doesn't mean it's not hard saying goodbye to him each day and leaving the hospital without a baby.  My heart aches every time I see him and every time I hold him and every time I leave the hospital without him.  Peter and I can't wait to bring him home!!  And I'm not going to lie - I kind of miss being pregnant.  I miss feeling him inside me, all curled up and protected, and every single night he was with us.  

So I don't think LB has grown much in length...but he's now surpassed his birth weight by .05 ounces - it's a big deal people!  Simple pleasures I tell you...can't wait to see what this little guy looks like all chunked up!  Right now he's got the most beautiful, little chicken legs and arms. 

And he is doing great - we are so proud of him and his progress and we celebrate each and every milestone.  He has been in the NICU a week and since being here he has progressed from sugar water and an iv to a feeding tube and breast milk. He bottle feeds and is being fed through a feeding tube and we have also attempted breastfeeding a few times.  He now has little clothes on his body and they took his icelet off (the top of his incubator) considering he is back to his birth weight and doesn't need the extra help in regulating his heat.  He has never needed oxygen or any extra assistance.  And the only thing he has issues with is feeding - they call it a feeding intolerance, and he's a great eater, but his problem is he has a hard time keeping his food down.  For the first few days he was just spitting everything up, but now that he is back to his birth weight they don't care so much about the spit ups.  

The love I have for this little guy is simply incredible, and it has been such a beautiful thing to see how sweet Peter is with him!  The nurses here are phenomenal and we have learned so much from all of them - each day I walk away feeling a bit more empowered and a bit more educated and a bit sad that I may never see some of them again!  They have rocked our socks off and the way they love these little babies is simply beautiful.  

I promise to write more later - I have all sorts of posts bouncing around in my head, but I just needed to celebrate that LB is 35 weeks today...and he is suppose to be the size of a coconut, which I could see if he was all balled up!

Please continue to pray for our family - for the babies health and for his parents (peter and I), for our hearts, especially mine, as we don't quite feel like parents considering our baby is here in the hospital and someone else is carrying the bulk of the responsibility.  Pray that the Lord continues to surround us with His peace and His mercy and that this situation simply binds us closer together as a family of three.     And may the Lord be glorified and honored through it all!

Much Love,

Malia, Peter and LB

1 comment:

  1. Malia! Thanks for the update. Praying lots. Love you tons, mama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...