May 8, 2010

Leaving Thoughts.

So we are on our way out of Lira and I am typing this in the backseat of the truck. Figured it would be easier to type than it would be to write in a journal! So here I am…reflecting on the past week and my heart is aching.

We had a wonderful day yesterday (Friday). Our driver, Jimmy, and the Sponsor Coordinator, Hardson, took us to see the medical clinics in town. The first one, Gift Life Clinic, is the clinic they take the children to, and there is only one doctor and he told us he sees 100 patients per day! Crazy talk huh? It truly has been amazing to hear about the number of children who have lost both their parents to HIV/AIDS. It is rampant, and everyone has been touched by the disease in some way. So many young lives lost, so many children left without parents, siblings.

While we were talking to the doctor, two men brought in a woman who was probably in her early 20s and laid her down on the hospital bed where she remained for the entire duration of our conversation. The room was soo small that there was no room for Jimmy and Hardson to sit, thus I was hyper aware of the sick woman lying on the bed. My heart yearned to reach out to her, but 2 men were literally standing in my way. I yearned to know her story, to hear her cries. I yearned to hold her hand, to pray for her. The conversation continued between us and the doctor while the woman laid there with her eyes closed. She looked so peaceful, yet she was probably in so much pain. I wanted to break down right then and there and cry out to the Lord for this injustice. Instead, I said a quiet prayer to the Lord and briefly placed my hand upon the woman’s as I was walking out the door.

The Gift Clinic was seriously overflowing with people. So many babies were crying, people were sick with malaria, HIV/AIDs and they were so very tired. People were sitting on the ground outside waiting for their turn to come, waiting for a seat to open up inside, waiting for the doctor. Always waiting…It was a sad, sad place, but aren’t hospitals always?

The second place we went to was the clinic the children will soon be going to considering the Gift Life clinic is seriously overcrowded and the children have to wait ages to see the Doctor and some even get more sick just from simply being at the clinic. It truly was like night and day to be honest! According to Hardson, this second clinic was started and supported by white people. There were so many white coats, however, there is only one doctor, and more than 50 nurses. The facility itself is much bigger, thus they can accommodate so many more people.

In the afternoon we went to the Children’s Village for the final time. I was able to see the little 5 year olds…Pasca, Monica, Peter, and Patricia (AKA Grumpity Grump). Oh how I love them…oh how my heart breaks for ALL of them. They are so young. They sang us some beautiful songs, recited bible verses, and danced and laughed with us. Then came a time for Peter and I to share, while someone translated. Peter stayed composed while he shared and said everything I would have said, and then they asked to hear something from me. I couldn’t even bring myself to share and the few words I did share were said between tears and gasps for air. So many little eyes were staring at me while I shared my love for them, while I thanked them for their warm welcome and their love, while I squeezed the beautiful Pasca who was sitting in my lap. And I cried harder. I cried even harder when I saw the tears in Peter’s eyes. I cried for their loss…the loss of their parents, the loss of their innocence, the loss of a childhood, the loss of normalcy. These children have lost their parents due to HIV/AIDS. They have lost their parents due to the LRA and the fighting. They have lost their siblings to HIV/AIDS and abduction. They have lost their innocence due to rape and HIV/AIDS infection. I cried for their joy amidst the loss. I cried for their transformation that has already occurred and will continue to occur. I cried for the Lord’s redeeming work in their lives. My heart ached as the tears streamed down my face, however, my tears were not only tears of sorrow but also tears of thankfulness. It truly has been such a blessing and honor to witness the beautiful hand of God and the beautiful work of Children of the Nations in Uganda, and for that I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...