May 8, 2010

Responsibility.


One thing I have realized while being here is that we are so blessed, but it truly is what we DO with our blessings that really matter. I will never forget the wise words from a guest speaker in my graduate program…you are responsible as far as you are response ABLE. He is saying if you have the resources and the ability to make a difference, if you have the ability to respond to a situation or an act of injustice, then you must respond, and you actually have a responsibility to respond. When we went to the mass massacre site Barlonyo, it didn’t seem right to take pictures, but they said take pictures and tell everyone our stories, tell them what you have seen so that it never happens again. Makes me think about all the tragedies, all the injustice that has occurred due to a lack of action, a lack of accountability, a lack of knowledge.

My heart aches, as I watch the luscious, green land race past my window. My heart aches at the thought of leaving this place. My heart aches at the thought of having a dream fulfilled. Although the dream to see Africa has been fulfilled, the yearning will forever remain, perhaps the yearning will be worse this time around considering I have finally experienced it. We have only been here a week, and I already know it will be so very hard to board the plane back to Seattle. Don’t misread my message, I will be returning to the states, perhaps reluctantly and I may be dragging my feet a bit, but we will be returning.

One calling I have always felt on my heart is the calling to share injustices in the world with those who are unaware. I love sharing stories and asking questions in order to make those tragedies and injustices a reality to those in the West. I love educating people about the ways they can impact others in other countries. I love building bridges and connecting people to a world they never knew existed. I truly feel the Lord has called me to be an ambassador for injustice…for the poor, the needy, for children. This African sojourn has simply confirmed that calling because I am DYING to get home to share all these experiences with people in person, and the tears come to my eyes when I think about the joy I will receive from sharing stories face to face.

P.S. none of these are our photos. for some reason we can't upload them on here. So i have resorted to stealing images off the internet. These are photos of Barlonyo.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...