January 24, 2011

War.

Pat Tilman with his brother Kevin.

I am feeling inundated with everything war right now. We have been watching the Pacific which is about World War II and then I have been reading John Krakauers latest book Where Men Win Glory - The Odyssey of Pat Tilman.  And I am left simply baffled by the number of men that have died at the hands of their own.  I have had to read the book super fast simply because it doesn't belong to me and I have to leave it in Belfast. So I have found myself skimming through certain bits and pieces. I by no means am an expert on politics or the Iraqi war so it may do me some good to read all of these bits - but the story of Pat Tilman is the reason why I even began this book, thus Pat Tilman is the person I want to read about.

I love this book - even if it is a sad, sad story. Jon krakeuer does a beautiful job painting the picture of WHO pat tilman is before he even goes into the bit about his death....Now please keep in mind that I LOVE the way Krakaeur writes! I have read quite a few of his books and usually when it comes time to close the final pages of the book - I am satisfied, normally fairly sad, but satisfied nonetheless. Now with this one, I was mad. Pat Tilman was a young man who gave up a professional football career to serve his country in Afghanistan. His life ended far earlier than it should have and Krakaeur does a beautiful job of bringing Tilman back to life...read it for yourself! A great story of a great man with an exceptionally sad ending.

But it is definitely a story that leaves you thinking....and wondering how many people have died from friendly fire...it leaves you feeling angry, upset and dissappointed in the system. shouldn't we know the truth? don't we deserve the truth? And it is also a story that reminds you of the stronghold the government has on the media even in a democracy!

PLEASE NOTE - I wrote this entry weeks ago, but had yet to post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...