April 2, 2011

Fruit Crisp.



One of my dearest friends makes crisps rather frequently and they are ALWAYS delicious!  And she swears they are easy - so I figured I would give it a shot, and she was right - it was super easy!

I made mine with pears, strawberries and apples and added more cinnamon than necessary and didn't add nutmeg because I didn't have it!  So you can improvise as she suggests as well.



To make the crisp:
 
1. Peel 3-5 (depending on the size of pan you are using) granny smith apples and slice them thinly, laying them in the bottom of a lightly buttered (or oiled or sprayed) dish.
 
2. Slice strawberries, layering them on top of the apples (as many you want - I probably did about 10 berries). Then, I sprinkled about a 1/2 cup of blueberries over the apples and strawberries. Blackberries would also be really yummy.  Set this pan aside.
 
3. Make streusal topping. I always double the recipe of the topping. It's always better to double it and have a little leftover than to not have enough of this part. I had enough leftover that I was able to make 2 separate desserts.
  • 1/2  cup  butter, softened
  • 1/2  cup  granulated sugar
  • 1/2  cup  firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 2/3  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup - 1 cup oats (depending on how oaty you want it :)
4. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating well. Add flour, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg; beat just until blended.  OR  You can just melt the butter in the microwave, dump it in a mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a spatula - that's what I did in a rush and it worked out!

5. Use your hands or a spoon to springkle streusal topping all over the crisp. Some of it will fall through the fruit - which is perfect. I sprinkled it over the fruit until all the fruit was covered and called it good. You can add as much or little that you want to have - depending on how rich (or light) you want the crisp to be.
*Some crisp/cobbler recipes call for you to mix the fruit with flour, sugar, etc. and then also top it with streusal topping. I didn't mix the fruit in anything, and I think it still tastes good. It's because the streusal topping drops down into the fruit and bakes into it - so it all works out.

Cook at 325 for 40 minutes or until the top of the crisp is bubbilng. Sometimes I put a spoon or fork in part of it to make sure the fruit is soft before pulling it out. Serve with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge or caramel for an extra special touch.



1 comment:

  1. Em and I made a really good raspberry crumble from barefoot contessa here in Denmark! so good...the topping had sliced almonds in it! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...