April 21, 2011

The Living Desert.

So the desert lives??  I mean it's all soo brown...and everything seems dead, but then I guess a cactus is alive and it thrives in the desert right?  Well, more than just cacti thrive in the desert - there is a plethora of plants and animals that thrive in that god forsaken heat!

One of the cool things we did while in Palm Springs was experience The Living Desert.  It is described as desert conservation through preservation, education and appreciation.  They had an Africa section and a North America section - I must say I was slightly partial to the Africa section.


We saw all sorts of cool things like a giraffe feeding - did you know a giraffes tongue is 18 inches long??and we saw loads of butterflies and birds and zebras and meerkats!  It was a great afternoon minus the fact that it was like 100 degrees outside - but the place was fully equipped with sprayers coming out of the straw huts.

Here is my delightful collection of photos from the afternoon.  








Can you tell I kind of have a thing for giraffes??



And I kind of have a thing for butterflies!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...