April 9, 2011

Same Kind of Different as Me.


So I am in the process of finishing this book titled Same Kind of Different as Me - a modern-day slave, and an international art dealer, and the unlikely woman who bound them together by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.  I first saw this book at Barnes and Nobles - I am kind of in the habit of traveling to B&N simply to find books to add to my library list.  I haven't done it in AGES, but that is exactly how I fell upon this said book.   

It is about a rich, art dealer named Ron, his wife Deborah, and a homeless man named Denver.  Some website states, "This book is the emotional tale of their story: a telling of pain and laughter, doubt and tears, dug out between the bondages of this earth and the free possibility of heaven."

There were so many good little bits within the book and I wrote all the page number of my favorite bits down on little itty bitty pieces of paper so I could write about them later!  To be fair, the first quarter of the book was only slightly interesting, so the majority of my favorite bits are towards the end.

p. 83 - convo between Deborah and Ron before volunteering at the Gospel Mission ..."Ron, before we go in, I want to tell you something...I picture this place differently than it is now.  White flower boxes lining the streets, trees and yellow flowers...can't you just see that?  No vagrants, no trash in the gutters, just a beautiful place where these people can know God loves them as much as He loves the people on the other side of the tunnel."

Isn't that SUCH a beautiful image???  And she had a dream about this place and what it would look like in the future...she saw the place for what it could be rather than for what it was and I just love that!

p. 87 - Homeless man sharing his thoughts about the Halls ..."I don't know who you folks are, but you think you're doin' us some kind of big favor.  Well, tonight when you and your pretty little wife are home in your three-bedroom cottage watchin TV in your recliners thinking you're better than us, you just think about  this: You miss a coupla paychecks and your wife leaves you and you'll be homeless - just like us!!"

It is so true isn't it?  It all could happen so fast.  Take a few wrong turns, make a few bad decisions and you could be out on the street.

p. 93 - Denver writes about the Halls..."These folks was different...one reason was they didn't just come on holidays.  Most people don't want the homeless close to em - think they're dirty, or got some kinda disease, or maybe they think that kind of troubled life gon'  rub off on me.  They come at Christmas and Easter and Thanksgivin and give you a little turkey and lukewarm gravy.  Then they go home and gather round their own table and forget about you till the next time come around when they start feeling a little guilty 'cause they got so much to be thankful for."

This little bit has really challenged my thoughts on service and being consistent with where I serve!

p. 120 - Deborah asked a homeless guy why he was soo happy and he replied, "because I woke up!!"

I loved this!!  Just makes me realize how thankful we should be for each day that we wake up!

p. 169  - Denver writes, "our limitation is God's opportunity.  When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothing you can do, that's when God takes over."

p. 235 - Denver writes, "whether we is rich or poor or somethin' in between, this earth ain't no final restin place.  So in a way, we is all homeless - just workin our way toward home."

He has a point doesn't he?  I really loved this last bit!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...