August 17, 2011

Loves and Loathes.

As many of you know I am job searching, and I have been trying to discern what type of job I truly am looking for.  Job searching without a clear direction is really hard and not very wise - and I would not recommend it.  So over the past month or so I have realized that I need to be more directed within my job search.  I need to truly know myself and what it is that I am searching for.

So my darling friend and coworker Amy came up with this idea.  Actually, I don't know if she came up with it, but she's the first one to tell me about it.  Thus, I am okay with giving her the credit - so let's just say she came up with it!

She told me that I should start keeping a record of the things that I love and the things that I loathe and then see after so many days if there is a pattern, or commonalities, or what not.  And she said I could focus it on life in general or more specifically within a job.

Umm...I loved this idea obviously, and started my list straightaway.  And I decided to do a bit of both - life in general and job specifics.

Things I love.

interacting with people
meeting new people
solving problems
a relaxed working environment
flowers
clean spaces
car rides
writing
researching
learning new things
libraries
being part of a team
traveling
seeing the world, meeting new people and interacting with them - all in that order, but I think I said that already!
talking about global development/global health and how we can change the world right where we are
advocating
laughing

Things I loathe.

when people talk slow on the phone (oops - this shows my impatience!)
taking the garbage and recycling out
too much structure
dressing up every day with heels for work (I don't do this now, but I know I would loathe it!)
a stressful work environment
mushrooms

Hmm...I came up with a lot more loves than loathes, but I suppose this is just a start.  But I love this idea so much that I even got Peter started on it, and the majority of his loves were things having to do with the outdoors - go figure huh?

Now you try...what are your loves and loathes?


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...