September 22, 2011

Being Irish.

So I know this may seem silly, but I kind of take pride in the fact that my husband is Irish.  And when I say Irish I mean he really is Irish - none of this great-grandfather coming over on a boat during the potato famine stuff.  My husband really is Irish - he hails from the small island that is Ireland, he has an accent, and a passport that clearly states he is not from the United States.   He enjoys sports like rugby, Gaelic football, and hurling, and refers to football as American football because hello people the name football is already taken by the sport we, American borns, call soccer.

So yes, my husband is Irish and there is alot that comes with BEING Irish.  Like what you may ask?  Well...an accent for one, a love for all things Irish (obviously), a love for Guinness, Jameson, rugby, football, biscuits, coffee, black tea, The Independent (newspaper), and of course the BBC

Thus, if I want to attempt to BE Irish or succeed in being married to someone who is Irish, I must speak with an Irish accent and I MUST LOVE RUGBY
I think Peter cares more about my love for rugby than he cares about my love for dogs.  This man is serious about his rugby.  And he is even more serious about me understanding and enjoying the game nearly as much as he does!  And I hate to break the news to him, but I don't think that will ever be possible because like I said this man loves his rugby.

Thus, it only makes sense that he would want to watch ALL the Ireland Rugby matches live right?  Well the World Cup is in New Zealand this year, which means there is a 19 hour time difference, which means some of the games are really EARLY in the morning here, like 1:30 AM early.  And I don't know about you, but I'm getting old and my bedtime normally comes WAY before 1:30 AM.  But Peter kindly informed me that if I was really going to BE Irish or succeed in BEING married to someone who is Irish, then I needed to get my booty out of bed and cheer on Ireland vs. Australia on Friday night (Saturday morning) for their 1:30 AM match.  So I did, not because of my true love for the sport, but because of my true love for my husband.  Plus, I couldn't let the guy go to a bar all my himself on a Friday night, right?  And it would make for an excellent date night right? 

Well, let me tell you it sure did!  I was cranky and crabby and not all that excited to not be in bed at that time of night, but in the end, when all was said and done it was so worth it because...IRELAND WON.  It was an incredible game - one I would have been very sad to miss.  So THANK YOU Peter for being so persuasive and for not taking NO for an answer!

Next Irish match Saturday night at 11 PM - Ireland vs. Russia

P.S. Please forgive me for my use of Irish stereotypes and let it be known that Peter strongly dislikes coffee and he very rarely drinks tea, but besides that everything else is true! haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...