January 21, 2013

Little Buddy: 36 weeks!


You would think that since baby is born, these weekly posts would end, but like I said here, they refer to little buddy by his gestational age in the NICU, so I think I will do the same!

His accomplishments this week - he is doing so good with his bottle feeds.  And his sucking has become so much stronger.  We are so proud of him!  He has to take all his food through the bottle before they will take his feeding tube out and he has to take a bottle for something like 48 hours before they will officially discharge him.

He has been out of the womb for two weeks now, and yes time has flown by!  So let's see, he weighs 5 lbs, which means he can officially ride in his car seat that is in the car just waiting for a baby to be plopped in it.  He is wearing newborn diapers (I think he's been wearing these all along), and the preemie clothes are actually starting to get too small for his little body, which is actually really exciting!

But, I had a bit of a break down last week...stating that I'm so tired of the hospital and I'm so tired of having to go to the hospital to visit our baby.  Blah blah blah...I just want him to be home.  And the nurse told us today that hopefully he will be home with us within the week.  I almost peed my pants...out of excitement and trepidation.  I mean we swoop in and change his diaper and hold him and feed him ALL during the DAY...we haven't had to do the night shift yet!  And yes, I do get up in the middle of the night to pump, but let's be honest, it's not quite the same as caring for a little baby.

So what else?  According to the bump, my due date is just 4 weeks away...how do I tell them that I have already had the baby and that yes, the due date is just 4 weeks away, but baby's birth date has already come and gone!  They say that he's the size of a honeydew, 17.2 to 18.7 inches long and 4.2 to 5.8 pounds.  Well let's just say that LB is definitely within the pound range and I'm thinking he has grown longer in the last 2 weeks, but they haven't measured his length since he was born at 16.5 inches.

Little Buddy is doing great, but his parents are starting to falter!!  As thankful as we are for the hospital and the staff, we are tiring of our hospital routine, and just want our little bug home with us.  At the same time, we are trying to cherish these last few days without a babe in our home as we have no idea what we are truly getting ourselves into..haha!!  So pray for us!!

Much Love,

Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...