January 10, 2017

New Beginnings


Last Sunday (I literally wrote this post MONTHS ago!) we had our last family dinner in my childhood home. My parents have lived in that home for over 34 years. That feels like such a long time! And I've just been feeling all the feels for my parents. I can't even imagine what that feels like.

Peter and I have lived in our house for 5.5 years now and I can guarantee you I will grieve when the time comes to move out. I brought my babies home to this house. I heard their cries from across the hall. We have transformed the yard, removed trees and the hot tub, planted vegetables, painted the exterior and redid the bathroom. We have filled the home with the delicious smells of food and stinky diapers! We have covered the floors with dirt, sweat and tears, and maybe a little bit of pee. And we have filled the space with so much love and laughter and so many dance parties. 

We have filled our home with so many memories, and it hasn't even been 6 years! I can't even begin to fully comprehend how they are feeling about all of this.

And as we got off at the Chico Way exit I thought, this may be the last time I get off at this exit. So strange. As I walked through the doors of the house, I thought this may be the last time I walk through this house. This may be the last time I sit in my room. This may be the last time we have dinner in this home. This may be the last time I ever step foot in this home. 

And if I'm honest it feels terribly surreal. The reality is, it has been 16 years since I've lived in that home, but it's still been the place I've come home to. The place where holidays have been celebrated and family gatherings have happened. 

But let's be honest, it's the people that make the home. And we've had a good while to get use to them moving to Gig Harbor as I think they've owned the property for over 5 years now. And they broke ground on it August 2015. So it's been a while coming.



And you better believe I had tears streaming down my face when I said bye to my mom. I hugged her tight and just said this is your home...this is where you brought your babies home..and as I hugged my dad before climbing into the passenger seat I said look after mom okay..hold her close. And as we drove away I was left with the beautiful image of them clinging to each other in the kitchen. Thank you Jesus for this beautiful family of mine!

And I should say, they've been living in their new home for 3 months now! And they've built themselves a beautiful home. I'm excited for them, for the new beginnings, for the new memories and for the laughter and love that have already filled that home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...