April 30, 2017

Transitions



Jack's last day at his school was last Monday.

He's been going there just one day a week for nearly 3 years, and I remember the daunting search to find that place.

And I think I was more emotional about it all than he was.

When Peter dropped him off, he handed off the fruit snack treats and the thank you note we had written for the teachers, and they all couldn't believe it was Jack's last day there.

I couldn't believe it either to be honest.

It's all so very bittersweet.

He has grown up there, become a little boy there, and it was all coming to an end.

If only they had space for Ryan.

If only they had space for Jack for one more day a week.

But alas they don't, so we're on the wait list, and starting at a new school in the meantime.

And I think I'm more emotional about the whole thing than Jack is.

When we went to pick him up last Monday, one of the teachers was telling us how much she enjoyed teaching Jack and how they're going to miss him and how they're so sorry they don't have space for Ryan.

And she mentioned how another teacher was sharing earlier today about how much she's enjoyed watching Jack grow from a little 17 month old to a 4 year old boy as she was one of his first ever teachers.

And you guys, I was at a loss for words. I truly didn't know what to say. I found myself packing up Jack's things, while trying not to make eye contact as I was on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

And as Jack showed Ryan all his favorite things, like he always does, I held back the tears.

And as we put Jack's coat on and his bag on his back, and as he hugged his teachers goodbye, I held back the tears.

And as we climbed the stairs, the Director told us we were still on the waiting list, and I held back the tears, while also forcing both Jack and Peter to take a picture to document this moment!

And as we drove away, Peter informed me that there was a note in Jack's bag, and the tears came as I read this note.



Don't mind me, I'm just over here wiping the makeup off my face. 

We're so very thankful for Peter's new job, but it just means more transition and more change for all of us. 

And it's all so very bittersweet to be honest.

And as Peter adjusts to his new job, we're all adjusting to new routines and now a new school, with new friends, and new teachers, and new parents.

And the boys start at their new school Monday.

I'm excited for them, to begin something new, together.

But I know this week won't be an easy one for us.

I'm sure Jack will be just fine, but Ryan has never been in the care of someone we didn't know for more than 9 hours, and I'm anticipating the drop off will be a bit of a nightmare, but that's to be expected I suppose.

So if you think of us Monday, will you please pray for us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...