April 7, 2017

A Tale of a Target Outing

I ventured to Target last Friday afternoon with both boys. And I must say, my capacity for taking both boys anywhere that involves riding in a shopping cart rather than running around a playground has definitely decreased in this season of underemployment for Peter. I find myself scheming and planning my errands around Peter's schedule so that I can leave at least one child home with him.

But this last Friday, I felt like such a warrior mama as I strapped both boys into their carseats and pulled out of our driveway as I knew what awaited me. But let me tell you, I was so unprepared. I left the house without snacks or anything in hand and it was right around naptime. I had basically set myself up for failure.

I parked, and got them out of the car and grabbed a shopping cart and somehow managed to get them both in the tiny cart with Ryan in the seat and Jack in the main shopping cart area. But that didn't last long! Before I knew it Jack was literally climbing out of the cart and Ryan was hanging a leg over the side. And the shopping trip had just begun.

And rather than watch them fall to the ground, I helped them out of the cart, which was a crazy idea. I still don't know what I was thinking. Before I knew it, they were pulling all the boxes of cards off the shelves and running around the store. I quickly grabbed what I was looking for and started running after my kids. And I led them to the Easter candy section, where they literally started taking candy off the shelves and putting said items into the shopping cart.

You guys, I was THAT mom! The mom that was trying to beat her kids at the game of taking things out of the shopping cart faster than they could put them in there.

And it was a disaster! I literally had like 4 things to pick up and at this stage of the game I'd only found 1 item. The shopping trip should have taken me like 30 minutes right? But instead it took me over an hour.

And I finally realized that I had to get them back in the shopping cart, but how was I going to do this without them having a fit? Well I'd offer them food of course, but remember, I hadn't brought any food with me, so I just pulled a bag of goldfish off the shelves and tore it open. And I bribed them, and it worked. But I hadn't brought snack cups or anything to put said goldfish in, so Jack kept putting his whole hand in the bag and coming out with gigantic handfuls of goldfish that he then shoved in his mouth. He did pass a few handfuls on to Ryan, but quite a few of them landed between the cracks of the shopping cart, which then meant I stepped on them once they landed on the ground.

And you guys, we were a hot mess, leaving a trail of goldfish in our wake, and I found myself laughing out loud at the chaos of it all. I had expected this chaos, but I still wasn't fully prepared for it!

And once we got to the checkout, I felt like such a warrior having conquered Target with my two crazies. And I felt so relieved to be checking out, to have survived, all thanks to a bag of goldfish, which they somehow managed to consume in its entirety in just under an hour! What can I say, they love their goldfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...