June 9, 2017

Acknowledging Difference

So I take my boys to the library near our house like once a week, and there's a playground nearby, so quite often we find ourselves at the playground. And quite often, we run into people who are intoxicated or on drugs or selling them. True story, I witnessed a drug deal at this play area, a true pass over of drugs and cash all while one of the guys watched his two little girls play with my boys.

But I digress, kind of.

The truth is, I know this stuff goes on there. I know the chances are good that we may strike up a conversation with someone who is intoxicated, and yet, we continue to show up.

Is this a good thing? or a bad thing?

The reality is, I struggle with whether I should be shielding my children from these sights, from this world that is so very different from their own, shooing them away from the things I'd rather they didn't see. And I know every single parent is going to have their own opinion on the matter.

But in all honesty, there has only been one time where I questioned my judgement and wondered if I'd made a bad call by allowing my children to engage with an intoxicated man after he become just a little aggressive. I remember thinking, maybe this was a bad idea? Maybe I should have pulled them away from him? Maybe I shouldn't bring them here at all?

But the truth is, I know that I can't shield my children forever, and ultimately that is what wins out. I want my kids to know difference, to be aware of it, to confront it and acknowledge it. I don't want them to shy away from it.

And it starts with us, their parents. 

As parents it is up to us to not let that fear of difference overtake us, if we steer clear of different or if we give into the fear of it how can we expect our kids to be any different?

It is up to us to cultivate the curiosity, to cultivate the eyes to see that every person has a story. May we stress the importance of listening and responding appropriately to that story, and to the systems that create and perpetuate that difference.

It's up to us to open their eyes to their privilege, to open their eyes to see that it's not about equality but rather equity.

It's up to us to teach our kids to not be blind or apathetic to the injustice that happens all around them, every single day.

It's up to us to teach them how to use their voice, how to use their privilege to advocate and speak on behalf of those who cannot speak for themselves or whose voices may not be as loud as ours.

It's up to us teach them about Jesus and the values He lived into during his time on earth and to encourage them to live into them.

It's up to us. No pressure right? In all honesty, it makes me excited to raise up little people who have eyes to truly SEE those they share space with in this world. 

Ultimately, my desire for all of those in my family are that our thoughts and our words are pleasing to the Lord

Psalm 19:14 - May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

And all of this reminds me of one of my favorite books from last year or the year before, Wonder by RJ Palacio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...