December 5, 2011

Stargazing.

Peter found this cool new app on his phone called google sky - and he was pretty excited to show it to me.  

So we bundled up in hats and big coats and went for a walk around the neighborhood, all the while pointing the phone up at the sky.  We probably looked a little silly, but thankfully there weren't too many cars on the road.  

So the way it works - you zero in on the star with your phone - kind of like you are going to take a picture of it - and it focuses and encircles the star and then the name of the star shows up.  We got to see the seven sisters, which were slightly faint in the sky, and MARS, which was this beautifully bright star.

It didn't quite look like this, but I suppose if I was close enough it would have!
I know absolutely nothing about stars and I am not ashamed of that.  So with this app comes a whole new world of knowledge and stargazing now has a whole new meaning, and it even got Peter to take a walk with me. And let's be honest, I never would have known it was Mars if it wasn't for this silly app on this silly phone.  Oh the joys of technology at our fingertips!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...