December 21, 2010

Alternative Christmas Gift Ideas.

So there is only 4 more days till Christmas, and I am sure many of you are scrambling to finish your Christmas shopping or maybe you just always wait till the last minute.  Maybe some of you don't want to bother with the shopping mall and decided to do your Christmas shopping online this year, which I must say is pretty amazing!  I ordered some things before we left to bring to Belfast, which is always risky and one of the items didn't show up in time.  But ordering online is easy and fun too because who doesn't LOVE getting mail??  Well maybe no one loves it as much as me...but I receive so much satisfaction when I see a box outside our apartment door or a little package in our mailbox.

Well whatever the case and whatever your method of shopping or how much you have already purchased. I want you to consider giving gifts that keep on giving.  It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that comes with Christmas shopping and gift giving.  And it can be really stressful.  Trust me, I know this because I was stressed the week before we left for Belfast.  I was scrambling to collect a few presents for each of my family members to open on Christmas day.  Who knows if they are things they actually WANT or NEED?   Who knows if they need anything at all?  I mean truly what do you give someone that has everything??  Do you buy them ANOTHER pair of socks...or ANOTHER tie to add to their already large collection?  Sometimes you truly are stumped...So I have decided to compile a collection of alternative Christmas gift ideas to help relieve you of your stress and your stumpedness (don't think thats a word, but just go with me here)!  Also it's fun to do things a little different in regards to gift giving.


So the list goes on...

Check out Children of the Nations Christmas Gift Catalogue and you can purchase a goat, or a widows basket, or donate to a staff member or contribute to tuition fees all on behalf of someone else, and they will even send you a little card so you have something tangible to give to the lucky recipient.  So take some time to scroll through the list and see if something or someone tugs at your heart - the opportunities for giving truly are endless.

Also check out Kiva.  As I mentioned in a previous post...Kiva is a Microfinance organization, and they allow you to purchase a gift certificate on behalf of someone (Peter and I bought my dad a GC for his Christmas gift last year!).  Then when that someone redeem theirs gift, they become a lender, and they then choose who they want to loan to.  And this gift truly does keep on giving because the lender starts to receive repayments on the loan and they are then able to lend out the money again.

And Vittana.  Extremely similar to Kiva, but focuses solely on loans to students so that they can attend university.  I would imagine the turn around for repayment wouldn't be nearly as fast as Kiva?  But then again i truly don't know so I would advise you to do some research for this one!

And TOMS shoes.  Another organization I have written about before...and i am sure many of you are familiar with is TOMS shoes.  So their slogan is one for one...so you purchase a pair of shoes and they give another pair of shoes away.  I mean if you are going to buy a pair of shoes for someone how cool would it be to tell them the story behind the shoes?

And also check out Krochet Kids.  Buy a hat, change a life!  They empower women in Uganda by teaching them how to crochet and then selling the created hats online and at Nordstrom.  The website itself is pretty amazing - so take the time to check it out regardless if you are going to buy something or not.

And lastly check out Loveless Apparel.  I mean if you are going to buy a shirt for someone anyways...think about buying one that will donate its proceeds to a non-profit organization.  Loveless apparel's tagline is that their clothing supports both art and social justice.  Now do keep in mind that you would have to have these shipped - so it may not arrive before Christmas, but definitely worth looking into.

Of course, all these are just simple suggestions, and they are all great organizations, especially Children of the Nations of course, so please take the time to check out their websites and educate yourself on the opportunities out there for alternative giving.  Maybe you have already purchased all your gifts this holiday season, but consider giving gifts that keep on giving for the NEXT Christmas or an anniversary or even a birthday!


Please keep in mind that there are numerous organizations out there that I have NOT even mentioned in this post, but a girl can't name ALL the organizations in the world or else this post would be exceptionally long.  So I have just mentioned a few that are near and dear to my heart, especially Children of the Nations.  Also, please DO note I am sure ALL of them would be pretty pleased to receive a donation from you on behalf of someone else.

And never ever forget that special occasions (christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc)  are for giving, not just receiving.  And let's be honest - sometimes it's more fun to GIVE a gift than it actually is to receive one...you have the opportunity to buy a gift and change a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...