December 17, 2010

Baking...in a different country.


Since when did I become so set in my ways?? And who would have thought that baking in another country and in another kitchen would be so...interesting! Peter decided that he really wanted me to make these oatmeal cookies that are frequently found at our house...but its not like I brought the recipe with me, along with all the conversions, in my suitcase. So I did what we all would do and googled oatmeal cookie recipe and came up with a HUGE selection of choices. I decided to go with the allrecipes website considering I had been there before...and found some recipe from there. But to be honest, I was a little sad that I didn't have MY recipe that I use or whole wheat flour or measuring cups and teaspoons...instead I would be baking with a little scale thing and measuring it all in kilograms. interesting...and fun. But when did I get so set in my ways? I would rather just bake without having to really THINK about it all...I mean who wouldn't right? It all goes a whole lot faster when I am not having to WATCH the cookies and pay attention to the countdown simply because I can't quite figure out how this oven works. But then again baking in my own kitchen, with my own oven, using my own measuring cups and things is just boring right?? ...yes it may be boring, but it is comfortable.

So when Peter suggested we bake cookies I was a little hesitant and not entirely up for this baking adventure! But I told Peter I would bake those cookies on one condition - that the man himself would help me. And help me he did...with the mixing and the weighing and the tasting while constantly exclaiming "I had no idea there was this much sugar in there" along with "I had no idea there was that much butter in there!" We made some pretty good cookies once Peter got over the shocking realization that the cookies weren't quite as healthy as he believed them to be and once he realized that he couldn't use the cookie cutters for these ones. And it was fun to be in the kitchen together having a baking adventure, and thanks to my dear friend Bekah another one awaits us and this time Peter will be able to use those cookie cutters!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...