February 11, 2011

Abeba.

I met a woman last week.  I met her at TJMAXX.  I hardly ever go there, but I went there to buy a new can opener.  So I met her in the purse and scarf section.  She was looking at purses and I was trying on scarves.  Don't know why I was doing that if I was JUST there to buy a can opener!  The conversation began something like this…
Woman - "Excuse me".
Me - "oh I am so sorry!" (I was standing in front of the mirror and thought I was in her way!)
Woman - "Excuse me".
Me - I was thinking I couldn't possibly STILL be in her way, but then I realized that she didn't want me to MOVE she merely wanted my ATTENTION.  So I did just that and gave her my attention.
Woman - Which one?, she asked, as she held two bags in front of her.
She went on to explain that she needed a bag for traveling.  She was going home for 3 months to see her children and her family.  It had been nearly a year since she was last there and she was excited.  I didn't tell her this, but I simply CANNOT imagine going nearly a whole year without seeing my children.  She fascinated me.
We proceeded to talk bags, traveling, children, Africa, Seattle, the weather, our husbands.  She was beautiful, with her youthful skin and her big brown eyes.  She couldn't have been more than 35.  She had three children who were all in Eritrea, while she lived in Seattle with her Eritrean/American husband.  Her children all had US citizenships simply because their Father was a citizen, yet the children remained in Eritrea because she wanted them to know the Eritrean culture.  She fascinated me (did I say that already??) and I asked question after question after question, while she answered my questions so patiently and willingly.  I never wanted our time together to end, but you know what they say…all good things must come to an end and TJMAXX wasn't going to stay open all night for us.
So the conversation ended something like this...
Me - It was so nice to chat with you...Whats your name?
Woman - Abeba (however to me it was completely indistinguishable)
Me - So how do you spell it?  (I really just wanted to say WHAT??)  
Woman - A-B-E-B-A
Me - well my name is Malia - it was such a pleasure!  Happy shopping!
So I suppose I need to frequent TJMAXX more often - you never know who you might meet there!  And I was thankful that I was the chosen one to aid her in selecting her travel bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...