February 15, 2011

Sleep Over.

My dear friend and I had a sleepover last night at her in laws house.  The night began with an outing to the grocery store and a bakery, a delicious dinner at cactus, and then ended with cupcake baking and the movie watching.  
The film I finally landed upon after switching from channel to channel was Pride and Prejudice, and we caught the movie in the middle, but let's be honest - that movie is amazing!!  And it doesn't really matter where you catch it.  I love this movie and last night I was reminded of how much of a romantic I am.  My absolute favorite line in the movie comes at the end when Mr Darcy says, "You have bewitched me body and soul and I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."
It was a blessed night and I fell asleep to the sound of the rain and the sea, which brought back memories of the countless summers I spent on Bainbridge Island.  My great grandparents bought this big house right on the water on the Island YEARS ago, and every generation that has passed has had memory after memory on that beach and in that house.  I remember the house had these really old windows upstairs that were made out of wood - no glass - and in order to open them you had to pull up the wood on both sides and tie the strings around hooks to get it to stay up.  I remember the beds were so old - the mattresses and the bed frames were so old.  I remember crawling over the walls from one bedroom to the next, from one bed to the next.  I remember the walks on the beach, the searching for shells, the long table in the dining room, the old pictures on the walls.
The house is different now - completely remodeled, and my immediate family doesn't own any of it anymore.  The rooms are different.  The windows are different.  The feel is different, yet the memories still remain.  And some things haven't changed.  The fireplace is still there, the pictures are still on the walls, and the sound of the sea remains the same.  And every time I hear the sound of waves crashing on a beach, or the sound of the rolling sea I am taken back to my younger days and reminded of those precious moments on Bainbridge Island.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...