May 11, 2011

The Sicilian Girl.

So as I mentioned before, I have been watching a lot of TRUE stories lately.  And not that I don't love all types of movies, but the true stories are the ones that really get me and stick with me far longer than they probably should.  The Sicilian Girl was one of those movies for me!

This film is inspired by the true story of Rita Atria.  She was born into a Mafia family in Sicily, and her father was shot dead in 1985 by a hit man hired by a rival Mafia family, when Rita was just 11.

In 1991, the Mafia killed her brother, and Rita desired justice and revenge for both their deaths.  So at the young age of 17, she goes to see an anti-Mafia judge, Paolo Borsellino, to denounce the Mafia system that was responsible for the murder of her father and her brother.  It was the first time that such a young woman from a Mafia family had rebelled and betrayed the Mafia.

And the rest is literally history.  I don't want to share too much because if I do I will simply spoil it all.  But I can say...be prepared for a fairly sad story.  I suppose justice is served in the end...but for who and at what ends?

Read a little bit more about the film HERE, and even more about Rita, her family, and the story HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...