June 5, 2011

Mancation.

So it's official - my husband is on holiday and I am not!  Peter has officially started his 10 day mancation.  Definition of mancation - a vacation for only men.  This mancation includes 10 days in the car with 3 men, a Volvo, a Budget truck, camping gear, coolers, sleeping bags, random chairs, and some clothes of course!

The trip has been planned for months - or should I say they have been planning the trip for months, who really knows how much they have actually planned!  And their planning sessions consisted of hot tub time, beer, yummy breakfast food, and dinner food - and who knows how much they actually get planned within those sessions, but the reality is they are on the road - so plan or no plan they are surely headed somewhere!

So the plan was to leave at 4 AM this morning - so Peter would be sleeping over at Shawn's on Saturday night.  So last night we arrived at Shawn's - packed our hands full of all sorts of gear and headed up the stairs to Shawn's apartment.  Well after calling Shawn's name and banging on the door a few too many times we soon realized that he wasn't home and we had no idea when he would be home.  And to make matters a little bit worse Peter's phone had just died and I brilliantly decided to leave mine at home - I mean I figured I wouldn't need it right?

So the conversation that proceeded this event went something like this...

Me - Did Shawn know you were coming??
Peter - well of course he knew I was coming...he just didn't know WHEN!
Me - so you didn't talk to him about the time??
Peter - nope...did you bring your phone??
Me - nope
Peter - Malia you should have brought your phone...what if you ran out of gas or something?  you wouldn't be able to call anyone for help!  I don't know how I feel about that.

I should mention that Peter gets a little worried about leaving me alone for 10 days and every time he goes somewhere I have to reassure him like 1,000 times that I will be just fine!  So the fact that I didn't bring my phone with me that evening did not serve me well in the reassurance department.

So we waited in our car for a total of 25 minutes before Shawn decided it was time to come home.  Peter was ready to get a start on his mancation so I didn't linger too long - we hugged, kissed and said our goodbyes.  And as I opened my car door to head home alone I realized that this mancation, this road trip, this experience was one he would never ever forget.  And gosh the memories they will make and the stories they will have simply make the ten days apart THAT much worthwhile.

P.S.  He has arrived at hist first destination - Palo Alto.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...