June 6, 2011

The Dress.

One of my absolute favorite stores is Anthropologie.  I love this store. And when I walk into this store I feel as though I have been transported into another world.  The bright colors draw me in and the whole store engulfs me.  Do I sound slightly obsessed?  I promise you I'm not and if I really was I would be grazing the shelves at least once a week and my grazing only happens every few months.  

So I love Anthro, but one thing I love more than the store itself is the SALES!  They have fabulous sales, or so I think, and I buy nearly all of my Anthro items on sale.  If you can be patient and wait a few months the chances that the full price item you have been eyeing for ages will go on sale are pretty high!

Take for example The Dress.  


I first saw The Dress at Anthropologie sometime in early March maybe?  I didn't even bother trying it on because I didn't want to pay the $150 for the dress - a little too pricey for my liking.  But I must have gone to the Anthro website and "liked" the dress and then linked it to my facebook profile sometime in late March.  So people knew I had my eye on this dress.  And let's just say that I am rather blessed to have a coworker who scours the Anthro website fairly frequently.  So one morning, in mid May, during her daily scouring session she saw that The Dress had gone on sale, so naturally she called me.  

And what did I do?  Well I called the store and put two on hold.  And I went in the next day, tried the item on and walked out with a new dress for half the original price!  But the best part of it all was that I had a gift certificate to Anthro that I received when I returned my ripped jeans.   Well I guess it wasn't REALLY a gift certificate considering I had already spent the money, but the money was spent sometime back in October.  So it felt like I was getting the dress for free - I couldn't wait to tell Peter about THAT!

I was a little nervous that Peter wouldn't like it or that he would question why I had bought a dress instead of something a little more sensible, like a new pair of jeans.  I mean that was my original intention.  So I tried it on for him as soon as I got home and he loved it.  People my husband is PARTICULAR.  I thought for sure he wouldn't like the yellow, or the ruffly part up top because even I wasn't too sure about that, but I had it all wrong.  He told me I could NOT take it back and that I should just take the tags off and hang it up in my closet because it wasn't to go anywhere.  

So ever since the purchase - he has been asking me to wear The Dress to various events - dinner with my parents, the COTN fundraiser, etc, etc, but The Dress just seemed a little too formal for those various occasions. Well folks, the moment finally arrived this past weekend.  I pulled that dress out of the closet, zipped up the side, buttoned up the back, and slipped on those black shoes and headed out the door for Peter's Dad's graduation.  And the dress was perfect.




So what did I learn from this experience?  Patience pays off and buying the dress on sale is well worth the wait.  Try the item on even if it is out of your price range - so that when it DOES go on sale you at least know the size you want.  And once again Anthro sales never fail.

2 comments:

  1. Malia, you have to check out my friend's new site called salemarked. it's pretty much amazing. For items like The Dress, you just mark them and when it reaches your ideal price, they will email you when it drops down to that price. It's magical and takes all the work out of checking back all the time. Though, it's nice to have a friend on the inside willing to call you too :)

    http://www.salemarked.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the dress, Malia. I saw it on facebook even before I read this blog, and I loved it then. And I'm glad Peter likes it too. Micah is also picky about my clothes! Ha! Love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...