July 7, 2011

Crazy Love.

It seems as though this book Crazy Love by Francis Chan is all the rage right now, or maybe it's just that ALOT of people around me seem to be reading it.  So I figured I should find out what all these people are reading and read it for myself. 

So the back of the book goes like this..."Have you ever wondered if we're missing it?  It's crazy, if you think about it.  The God of the universe - the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor - loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love.  And what is our typical response?  We go to church, sing songs, and try not to cuss.  Whether you've verbalized it yet or not...we all know something is wrong.  Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo?  Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of the world with tangible, even radical, solutions?  God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself.  Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working harder at a list of do's and dont's - it's falling in love with God.  And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same.  Because when you're wildly in love with something else, it changes everything."

And there is a quote on the back by a guy named Louie Giglio, "With an urgency that seeks to awaken a sleeping church mired in the comfort of middle ground, Crazy Love gets to the heart of the matter and leaves you wanting more - more of the matchless Jesus who offers radical life for all."

In the foreword, Chris Tomlin writes, "What I find interesting is the simple thought that Christians didn't name themselves.  But rather, they were called (or named) "Christians" by those watching their lives.  I wonder if it would be the same today.  Could someone look at your life or look at my life and name me as a Christian?"

Great way to start off the book right??  Could someone see that I am different simply by looking at the way I live my life..simply by looking at me and who I am and what I represent and what I stand for?

I have never read anything by Francis Chan.  Some find him slightly condescending, while I find him simply inspiring!  He challenges us to live differently and that is hard and I know it's not easy, but in order to alter anything we have to first see and admit that there is something within our hearts and our lives that actually needs altering.

If I am honest, I did skim through some bits of the book, but the chapter that held my attention the whole way through was the chapter titled, "The Profile of the Lukewarm". 

So here are some of my favorite bits from this chapter...

"Most of us have too much in our lives.  As David Goetz writes, "Too much of the good life ends up being toxic, deforming us spiritually." A lot of things are good by themselves, but all of it together keeps us from living healthy, fruitful lives for God." (p. 67)

"The American church is a difficult place to fit in if you want to live out New Testament Christianity.  The goals of American Christianity are often a nice marriage, children who don't swear, and good church attendance.  Taking the words of Christ literally and seriously is rarely considered.  That's for the "radicals" who are "unbalanced" and who go "overboard."  Most of us want a balanced life that we can control, that is safe, and that does not involve suffering" (p. 68).

"Lukewarm people give money to charity and to the church...as long as it doesn't impinge on their standard of living.  If they have a little extra and it is easy and safe to give, they do so.  After all, God loves a cheerful giver, right?" (p. 69)

"Lukewarm people tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict.  They desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions (like church attendance and giving) than what God thinks of their hearts and lives." (p. 69)

"Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act.  They assume such action is for "extreme" Christians, not average ones.  Lukewarm people call "radical" what Jesus expected of all His followers."  (p. 71).

"Lukewarm people love God, but they do not love Him with all their heart, soul, and strength.  They would be quick to assure you that they try to love God that much, but that sort of total devotion isn't really possible for the average person; it's only for pastors and missionaries and radicals." (p. 73)

"Lukewarm people will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give." (p. 74)

"Lukewarm people are thankful for their luxuries and comforts, and rarely consider trying to give as much as possible to the poor.  They are quick to point out, "Jesus never said money is the root of all evil, only that the love of money is."  Untold numbers of lukewarm people feel "called" to minister to the rich; very few feel "called" to minister to the poor." (p. 75)

"Lukewarm people are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control.  This focus on safe living keeps them from sacrificing and risking for God."  (p. 77)

"Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to.  They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens - they have their savings account.  They don't need God to help them - they have their retirement plan in place.  They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them life - they have life figured and mapped out.  They don't depend on God on a daily basis - their refrigerators are full and, for the most part, they are in good health.  The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God."  (p. 78)

This final thought rocked me - I instantly thought would mine??  Would my life look different if i stopped believing in God??  or would it just look exactly the same?

I find myself identifying with so many of these Lukewarm bits, and I don't want to, but I do!  It is so easy to play it safe when so many around you are doing the same thing.  I want to live by faith and I want to trust God completely - and I feel as though we do to a certain extent.  But we still have a savings account, we still have money invested in stocks, we still have food in our fridge, we still have our health.  

My sister asked me this weekend what this book was all about and I had to think for a long time how best to sum it all up...And I just landed on the answer it's about living radically.  But then I realized I wasn't satisfied whatsoever with that answer because within the book he isn't just talking about living radically and loving deeply.  He is talking about a transformation of the heart, of the church, of ourselves.  He is talking about all Christians being radical, not just a select few, and living differently than those around us simply because we are called to. 

So with ALL that being said, I will leave you with this final quote..."Having faith often means doing what others see as crazy.  Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers." (p. 115).  So what are you going to do today that's just CRAZY??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...