September 30, 2011

Apple Crumble.

Within the past few weeks I think I have made apple crumble 4 times.  You would think I would be sick of it by now and I'm not, but I can say that I am slightly overwhelmed by all the apples that we have!  Any takers??  I did give some away to my friend Jill last week - so now it's up to her to figure out what to do with them!

And as the apples sit in bags in our dining room - I sit and stare at them and ponder what I could make with them, and then revert back to the familiar and make another crumble.  There is always someone or some dinner party that needs a crumble for dessert right??  So I have been baking alot of them, and I love that!

But what I don't particularly love is that Peter enjoys crumbles more than crisps.  What's the difference you may ask?  Well a crisp has oats and brown sugary goodness in it, while a crumbles topping is mainly just flour and sugar, white sugar.  Both are delicious, but as you can tell, I slightly have a preference.  However, since we seem to be out of oats and since I keep forgetting to buy them, I have settled for crumble making.

I must say that it was incredibly hard to find a recipe that would work for me and crisp recipes are much more easier to come by.

And through all my searching I fell upon this Apple Crumble Pie Recipe, also on Allrecipes.com, and I once again adapted it.  I mean I wasn't making a pie, and I added loads more apples, and I love a thicker crust, thus more flour, butter and sugar, but this is the recipe I used as my starting point. 

Ingredients

  • 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
  • 5 cups apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.) Arrange apple slices in unbaked pie shell. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
  2. Mix 1/3 cup sugar with flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Spoon mixture over apples.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft and top is lightly browned.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to harvest the fruit in your yard and turn it into so many delicious concoctions. :) Every year my famiy gets together with a group of their neighbors and they rent an apple press and have a cider making party. If you are ever overwhelmed by the number of apples you have this is a great way to put them to use. Not to mention fresh pressed cider is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...