January 31, 2013

Baby Room in a Closet.

I know, I know I have been talking about Jack's small space for ages now, but I just have to say that this idea of having baby in the closet isn't such a terrible idea.  In fact, I think it's one of the best ideas we have ever had, and I must say that I am extremely pleased with the use of space.

To refresh your memory - our home is 770 square feet.  We do have two bedrooms with two queen beds, and we have the room for a proper baby room, but I just didn't want a proper baby room.  I mean we had this good sized closet (60 in x 40 in) in the guest room and I was convinced we could make it work!  So of course, I spent hours perusing pinterest and various websites for all sorts of small nursery ideas and wrote about those ideas HERE, and it was really helpful to see photos of how other people had used their small space.

So to say I went into this with a vision is a bit of an understatement.  If someone had asked me when the closet was still a closet what I hoped to do with the space - I could have told you word for word what it was going to look like - what color the walls would be, what I wanted in the frames, what size crib we needed, what I was going to use for storage, blah blah blah.  You get the point.

However, we needed to clear out the space before we could get started on anything, and one of our biggest challenges was figuring out where everything that was in the closet was suppose to go once the baby items moved in. Fortunately we had space under the bed and we have a fairly good sized garage! So under the bed and into the garage the items went.

We started off by painting the white walls grey and the little room stayed like that for a month or more! And then after a TON of research, I finally landed on the Davinci Kalani Mini Crib.  The thing with mini cribs is that you can't find them in stores!  So you have to check out the dimensions and simply order it and cross your fingers that A. you like the way it looks in real life and B. the dimensions are in fact what they say they are online.  And in our case, we got lucky.  And we love it!  It's a fairly tight snug - you can't put anything on the sides of the crib, but what else are you going to put in there?

And I finally acquired all the items I needed to finish off the small space this past week, but I just kept putting it off. Each day I would think...hmm, maybe I should work on Jack's space today, and each day my answer would be nah...he won't be in that space for awhile and there are so many other things I would rather do.  So all the items remained right where they were.  I had the chalkboard frame, the mobile, the printables and the frames, the baskets, and little white shelves.   I had everything, but I just didn't have the patience or the creativity to put it all together.

Well let's just say that a little angel came to visit me last night - said angel was just dropping off tools for our garage and I took it upon myself to ask her if she had time to hang some pictures - just three little pictures.



And then she proceeded to ask me what I envisioned for the rest of the space.  And I told her.  And I made the mistake of telling her that I had all the parts, I just hadn't put them in their place yet.  So of course, she took it upon herself to put Jack's little space together in a matter of minutes.  She got to work putting in nails and installing shelves and hanging the mobile.  And I just stood back stunned. This little angel did in minutes what I would have taken me hours!

I am so incredibly blessed - it is truly more than even I had envisioned for our small nursery space.  Enjoy the photos below and if you scroll all the way down you will find a special treat - a VIDEO of the space!  Photos just don't do it justice. :)

the space.
the homemade mobile - will post a tutorial about this later.
the chalkboard made with love.
a small collection of LB's books.
some of his favorite toys - I mean my favorite toys.
picture with the shelf and baskets.
And the video I put together!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...