February 8, 2013

Little Buddy: One Month!


Little Buddy was one month old on February 6th, and yes, I know the date has passed, but better late than never right? And I suppose I need to start referring to him by his actual age rather than his gestational age.  

So like I said, Little Buddy has surpassed the one month mark, and it is crazy to think this little guy has been in our lives for a month now.  It is even crazier to think that he was pulled out of my tummy a month ago, and that my own hospital adventures were soon to come to a close, while little buddy's were just beginning.  It is crazy to think that he spent the first three weeks of his life in the hospital, living in a little incubator, rather than living in our home.

This past month has been filled with hospital stays and visits, lots of cuddles and kisses, and so many small accomplishments by both child and parents.  This past month has been filled with so many tears, so many frustrations, and so many moments of joy!  And yes, leaving our baby at the hospital each night for 3 weeks was really hard, but like I keep saying - we learned so much during that time.  And we were so empowered and equipped by every staff member we came into contact with.

And I think that experience truly did prepare us for bringing LB home.  We don't worry about him as much as we might have if he was your typical newborn.  We know he breathes fine after watching his breathing patterns on the monitor for 3 weeks.  We know the grunts and the red face are normal considering he was doing that for weeks in the hospital and no one panicked there.  We know that if you don't point his little penis down he will pee all over himself and you will need to change his little outfits ALL the time.  We know how to feed him and how much to feed him, and we know that this little guy LOVES to eat.  We know that he truly only cries when he needs fed and/or his diaper changed - simple process of elimination.  But sometimes even when you have changed his diaper and you have fed him, he still cries...that one really gets us!  And we also know he's not a huge fan of having his diaper changed - he will wail and wail and wail until you change his diaper and button his clothes back up.

Child is adjusting well to his new home, and parents are adjusting to said child in their home.  Peter and I now get very little sleep, and truly that's the ONE thing we could complain about, otherwise, I think our baby is pretty good.  I love the songs Peter sings to Jack and the joy Peter finds in being a father to our little guy.  He is so protective of him already.  And I love being a mom.  It's a role I have embraced wholeheartedly, whatever that really means, and I think these next few months at home with him are truly going to fly by and it makes me sad.

Jack, we love you so much and we are so thankful that God has given us the privilege of raising you and being your parents.  We can't wait to tell you about your birth story and God's faithfulness and presence in all of it!

And in the end, amidst all the trials and tribulations, I know we will look back on this month and this experience with a deep fondness and a deep sense of peace.

And I will leave you with one last photo...



Much love,

Malia, Peter and LB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...