February 7, 2013

A Day in the Life.

Some friends recently asked me what a typical day looks like for me now, and I found myself struggling to come up with something that sounded sophisticated.  The reality is, everything takes me a bit longer these days, and let's be honest, sometimes I don't even get up out of bed until 10 AM.  And even when I do get up, it's simply to make myself a cup of coffee and to gather all the things, like my computer, a book, those thank you notes I keep putting off, etc, that I will want next to me when I get BACK into bed.  And some days I will stay in our bedroom, under the covers, responding to emails, feeding the baby, cuddling the baby, trying to soothe the baby in hopes that the baby will go back to sleep so I can get back to those emails and maybe even read some pages in my stack of books. 

Truly though - this time with Jack has been such a blessing, and yes, I am utterly exhausted, but I cherish those times when his eyes are open, but let's be honest, I also cherish those times when his eyes are closed.

So back to the question...what does a typical day look like?  And what do I do with all this time that I now have?

Honestly, I don't feel like I have a ton of free time on my hands, and I suppose all those moms and new moms out there can relate to this.  I think I envisioned baby would sleep ALOT and baby does sleep alot, but he's awake alot too. And even when he is asleep, you just don't have the energy to run all those errands or do all those little tasks around the house that you have on your to do list.  

Anyhow, I made a point over the last few days to document what a day in the life of Malia and Jack looks like, and I must say I am extremely pleased with all of our accomplishments as of late.

So lets see...in no particular order.

I feed baby which takes some time - first I have to pump in order to make it all happen, and then we have the bottle routine and I have to measure out the right proportion for the bigger bottle so that I can add his extra special similac to it.  Then I measure it out again and pour it into the little bottles.  And then the little guy gets fed.


Bottle time!


And then he sleeps....


and sleeps...


Some days I do laundry, which seems to take me forever these days.  And the last few days, little buddy has peed on BOTH our duvet covers - the one in our room and the one in the guest room.  So I have done two loads of laundry in two days and it always takes me a few days to put those duvet covers back on.  I hate doing that!


one done...


and one more to go...


I vacuum - This is my living room with a freshly vacummed carpet.  Sure makes mama happy and baby slept right through it all!  


I get the mail and open packages when they come...


Some days I take little buddy out for a walk...let's just say it had been SO long since I had worn tennis shoes, that I forgot I bought new ones a few weeks before they told me to stop exercising!  

I swear there is a baby in there...


And we visited the cemetery where my Uncle (he died when he was 18 - I never met him) and great grandparents are buried.  And I couldn't help but snap a photo, some may say it's slightly morbid, but quite frankly I don't care! :)


And I try to read books...the Rise of Nine isn't all that good to be honest, but now that I have started it, I have to finish it!  And I have loads of pregnancy, childbirth books that I am working my way through - these are just a few of the books in my possession.


I bake ...banana bread these days and I made butterscotch oatmeal cookies that I burned.  Oh yeah, I burned the banana bread too!  Don't worry, we don't discriminate in this house and my husband insists he actually prefers the taste of burnt banana bread.  I, on the other hand, do not.


I pay bills and inquire about bills that we are starting to receive.


I write thank you notes...


And do dishes...and did I say I pump??


And sometimes...just sometimes, I take a shower!  But I won't leave you with a photo of that.

Anyhow, and that concludes a day in the life of ...and now my friends, I think it's time for me to close my eyes and begin the day all over again.

Love,

Malia and Little Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...