November 20, 2015

Dear Jack {2 3/4 years}

To my sweet toddler,

It's been ages since I've written a note to you, but I couldn't let another moment pass me by. You've changed so much over the last 6 months, and I just keep thinking, I need to write these changes down. But the days pass and the evenings come, and I'm just too tired to put my fingers to the keyboard and actually put my thoughts into words on a screen.

However, the reality is, my memory isn't what it use to be, and ten/twenty years from now, I know I will not remember these things about you, so here I am.

Let me tell you a bit about yourself right now. As of today you are 2 3/4 - you'll be three in just a few months, but I figured by the time I got my act together to write your 3 year post, you'll be nearly 4!!

People are always asking us where you get your red hair? And I'm always having to tell them that we have red heads on both sides of the family. And they are always commenting on how sweet you are...or how handsome you are...or how funny you are.

And you are sweet, but you definitely have your moments where I wonder where that sweet little boy disappeared to. You love other kids and interacting with other kids and you love going on adventures whether to the store, the library, the zoo or the local park! Everything with you is an adventure. We even sing a little song from Dr. Seuss...let's go, let's go on an adventure. And you do a little dance and sing the song when you want to go adventuring.

You've been asking to play alot lately...I wanna play with dada, I wanna play with Ry guy, and this normally entails something with cars or your lego set. Sorry to say, Ry guy isn't much of a playmate yet, but you love copying everything he does and making him laugh. Just this past week you guys had a crawling race on the floor. And you've been taking him for little rides around the house on a little bike thing we have. And you love taking baths with him so you can splash him and thankfully Ryan just laughs! You love helping me with things, whether that's sweeping or washing dishes or baking. You LOVE when mama bakes things because you love mixing the ingredients with a spoon or the actual mixer, and quite often at least a quarter of the ingredients end up on you or on the floor. It's a miracle things actually turn out!

And you love to dance and frequently ask for us to turn the music on so you can have a dance party! It's hilarious - I think you get that from your dad (insert sarcasm).

What else? When we take you to new places with new people, you are always a little shy at first, clinging to my dress or my leg, but after just a few minutes you are acting like you own the place.

Anyhow, the above information is great and all, but this is what I really wanted to share with you.

Halloween was a few weeks ago and you dressed up as Batman. I bought the Batman costume last year at a consignment sale, but you were far too terrified of the outfit to wear it, so I dressed you up in the Tiger costume Tutu (my mom) bought you.

So this year, I pulled out both costumes the day before Halloween, and as soon as you saw the Batman costume, you started saying no scary guy, no mama. So I wasn't all that surprised when you wanted to put the tiger costume on. However, I managed to convince you to try it on by saying, Batman is a good guy, not a scary guy. He's a superhero, who wears a cape and flies in the sky (this isn't necessarily true, but just go with it!). And just like that you let me slip that costume on your little body and you didn't want to take it off. And of course Ryan got your hand me down tiger costume - that's a theme around here!



You wore your Batman costume on our walk (the day before Halloween), you wore it to the grocery store (also the day before), and you nearly wore it to bed that same night. And you couldn't wait to put your costume on on the actual day!


We listened to the Batman theme song a few times before leaving the house that day and you were going around singing....dada dada dada dada dat guy...and we tried to correct you but the best we got from you was...dada dada dada dada dat man. Guess you are having a hard time with your B's?

But you were so cute charging forward saying superhero...and running through the streets. You were hugging the kids we were with and playing with them and sharing with them. And you even kissed their booboos when they fell down and you ran your little heart out to catch up with them and then asked to be carried when you got really tired. So many people talked about how sweet you were that not...and it just made me realize that I'm not biased just because I'm your mom..you really are the sweetest.

I love you little man, and I can't believe I've nearly been a mom for three years! You've taught me so much about myself and you've brought even more laughter and joy into our home.

Being a mom is hard work buddy and I have a few grey hairs to show for it! But God has used those hard moments in a might way to transform and refine me and I hope and pray that we're all better off for it!

One word I recently used to describe you is funny...you love to laugh and you love making other people laugh.

And it's such an honor to be your mom...you truly are my little buddy.

xoxo,

Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...