August 8, 2016

What I've Read Lately {July}


So I've read nearly 5 books this  month. I've realized that those 600 page books take me forever to finish, and I'm reading one of those right now, Americanah. But I still have 25% of the book to read, hence the nearly 5 books. But I've really enjoyed it. Really insightful and interesting about a Nigerian woman who comes to America and wrestles with race for the first time, describing herself as a Non-American Black, but I'll have to share more on it next month.  

Scary Close: Dropping the Act and finding True Intimacy by Donald Miller

I really loved this book! But I tend to really enjoy Donald Miller books and I appreciate the way he writes and his way of storytelling that is webbed throughout the pages of each book he's written. And if I'm honest, this may be my favorite book he's written so far. But then again, I'm all about true intimacy and the power of vulnerability and the freedom that comes with being true to ourselves and those around us. And it's a really quick read too - only 250 pages.

Amazon blurb, "After decades of failed relationships and painful drama, Donald Miller decided he’d had enough. Impressing people wasn’t helping him connect with anyone. He’d built a life of public isolation, yet he dreamed of meaningful relationships. So at forty years old he made a scary decision: to be himself no matter what it cost. From the author of Blue Like Jazz comes a book about the risk involved in choosing to impress fewer people and connect with more, about the freedom that comes when we stop acting and start loving. It is a story about knocking down old walls to create a healthy mind, a strong family, and a satisfying career. And it all feels like a conversation with the best kind of friend: smart, funny, true, important. Scary Close is Donald Miller at his best."

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I had heard alot about this book and I'm a sucker for Young Adult reads. But if I'm honest, I had no idea what it was about until I started reading it, and I found that there were two stories in one really as the main character is a writer so the book combines her own story with the story she's writing. And I found myself skipping the chunks of the story that she had written as I just wanted to get back to the main story. I enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't my favorite read this month.

Amazon blurb, "In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to. Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone..."

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert

I really enjoyed this book. There were chapters I skimmed and chapters I really enjoyed. And there were bits I even highlighted, and it got me thinking about how much I limit my own creativity or how I define creativity. What does it mean to be creative? And how do I demonstrate creativity in my own life? And how am I living into that creativity and carving out time to create?

Amazon blurb, "Readers of all ages and walks of life have drawn inspiration and empowerment from Elizabeth Gilbert’s books for years. Now this beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration. She asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear. She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives. Balancing between soulful spirituality and cheerful pragmatism, Gilbert encourages us to uncover the “strange jewels” that are hidden within each of us. Whether we are looking to write a book, make art, find new ways to address challenges in our work,  embark on a dream long deferred, or simply infuse our everyday lives with more mindfulness and passion, Big Magic cracks open a world of wonder and joy."

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

This book has been a favorite since that first time I cracked it open over 12 years ago. And I rarely read books again, but when my book club chose this for our book last month I figured I should give it another read. And it's so interesting how I read it with different eyes this time. The first time I read it I was in a relationship that I was uncertain about, and this book just reminded me that if we were meant to be, we would be. It reminded me that I should trust in the Lord as He will guide and direct my steps and if I'm following hard after Him, then His voice will be the one I hear and the one I listen to. I still enjoyed the book, and I really appreciate how spiritual and philosophical it all is and how the book speaks to following your dreams and listening to your heart. It's definitely still one of my favorites, but I know it's not a book for everyone.

Amazon blurb, "Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations. Paulo Coelho's masterpiece tells the mystical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure. His quest will lead him to riches far different—and far more satisfying—than he ever imagined. Santiago's journey teaches us about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, of recognizing opportunity and learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, most importantly, to follow our dreams."

Until next month .... and I just finished Americanah a few days ago and I just started The Lake House by Kate Morton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...