October 16, 2016

Growing Older


So it was my birthday yesterday and I am now 34 years old.

I know some people yearn for their younger years or some truly dread their older years. But with each passing year I have come to see that growing older is such a privilege. To be able to witness the change and transformation and development and growth within myself and those around me is such a privilege. And to be able to walk through various stages of life with loved ones is such a tremendous privilege.

And let's be honest, I love growing older. I am so much more secure in who I am and who God created me to be, and with each passing year I lean more and more into that person.  

And yesterday I just woke up feeling so thankful for another year, for life, for my life.

So thankful to the Lord for giving me life. 

So thankful to my parents for bringing me into life and for raising me.

So thankful to my husband for loving me so deeply, for challenging me.

And so incredibly thankful for this life and the day that laid ahead.

I truly had no idea just how beautiful yesterday would be.

The morning began with coffee and donuts, and a friend and I went to a consignment sale where I bought all sorts of treasures for my boys, mainly Jack as we don't have clothes for him!

And then I was whisked away to a birthday brunch with some of my dearest friends. They showered me with love and kind words and their presence was so treasured. To be honest, it was rather overwhelming. And so humbling to think they were all there on a Saturday morning to celebrate me.

And then the celebration continued with some friends scheduling me an appointment at InSpa, dropping me off, and then paying for the appointment. It was so overwhelmed with gratitude for the day, and I found myself getting so emotional sitting in the chair as the kind woman clipped my toenails.

I sent Peter a text informing him as to where I was and stating that I just felt so emotional and overwhelmed with thankfulness to the Lord for all these beautiful souls I'm privileged to call my friends. 

And he replied...."You are loved..Breathe it in."

So as I sat in that chair, and I breathed it in.

And as I kept breathing, I was able to talk myself down from bawling in the chair. And I just praised Jesus. And thanked my friends.

And then I arrived home to a baked cake and the chance to celebrate and sing Happy Birthday with my boys. And it was beautiful and oh so messy. Haha!

And I opened my cards and the mystery box from Amazon and someone had bought me the book Present over Perfect. Thank you to that mystery person. I can't wait to read it again and highlight bits and write all over it because I don't have to return it to the library. And I can't wait to loan it out to people.

And then my dear coworker and her sweet husband came over to watch our boys so that Peter and I and my brother in law could celebrate my birthday with my family sans kiddos. And the food, the company, the joy, the love was so incredibly good. I love that family of mine. I love the honesty, the vulnerability, the love, the laughter, the grief - I love and truly cherish our time together. The relationships are so rich and I just love my parents so much. They are such beautiful people with the most beautiful souls. And Peter and I are so blessed to walk through this life with them.

And then my husband gave a little toast at dinner.

"Let's raise a glass to my wife, the love of my life."

Cue more emotions, and more feeling of gratitude.

You guys, I'm so thankful for this last year. It's been one of my hardest ones yet, but it's been so incredibly good for my soul. And I just stood in awe at the Lord this morning as I reflected on the year and my day yesterday. My heart and my soul were just so incredibly full and so eternally grateful.

Thank you Jesus for this life, thank you for another year, thank you for another day and another chance to worship you and praise you.

Thank you for the privilege of growing older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...