March 7, 2017

Reading Recap for 2016

People are always asking me for book recommendations and the question I always ask them is, What's your favorite book? What genre do you even like? See, I read everything more or less, but I can tell you right now, I love a good historical fiction and I love a good memoir and I love a good romance.



I figured what better way to recap my year in books than this above image from goodreads. I thought 60 books in a year was going to be an unattainable goal, but when I think about it, I think the goal was originally 50, and then I realized I was going to surpass that goal in like October, so I adjusted it accordingly. Needless to say, my goal for 2017 is to read 65 books!  We will see how that pans out.

And I'm sure some of you are thinking, how in the world does she manage to read that many books in a year, I can hardly read 10 books a year or even 1 book a year. And I just want to say now (if you don't know it already), I LOVE to read. I'm never not reading a book. And if I love the book, then I want to talk about the book as I want everyone else to go read the book. I've always been like that, even when I was a little girl. I remember my dad always telling me to put my book away on car rides and to look out the window at the world that was passing me by as my head was buried deep in my book. And I hate to admit it, but this still happens, except it's not my dad saying it anymore, but rather my husband. And I even remember winning a book contest in like elementary school for most pages read in the school year, and you better believe I was always getting free pizzas at Pizza Hut through the BookIt program. Do they even do that anymore? I digress.

Anyhow, I read all the time, every chance I get. I read when I brush my teeth or when I dry or curl my hair. I read when I'm washing dishes, as I swipe left on my kindle with my wet fingers. I read when I put Jack to bed, as he insists we lie down with him, and I dim the kindle light as low as it will go and bury myself beneath a blanket. I read anytime we go in the car anywhere, even if it's like a 5 minute drive. I read at the gym as I'm running on the treadmill or doing my thing on the elliptical (we joined the YMCA in August, and that's probably why I read so many books last year!!) Needless to say my kindle is always with me, and it's really rare that you'll see me reading an actual book with pages these days simply because of the ease of the kindle. I know, it's terrible right? And I NEVER buy books, I'm always checking out the ebooks from the Seattle Public Library. Get a library card you guys. This is the best thing ever!

And when I think back to my favorite books from 2016, I definitely have a few standouts. And I thought I'd share them with you!

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Confess by Colleen Hoover - I really like Colleen Hover if you're looking for a quick read!

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult- but I really like alot of Jodi Picoult's books.

Me Before you by Jojo Moyes

Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist 

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Quiet: The power of Introverts in a World that Won't stop Talking by Susan Cain - I LOVED this book, I still talk about this book and I could definitely see myself reading it again someday.

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Rising Strong by Brene Brown

The Gift of Imperfection by Brene Brown

I really enjoyed I let you go by Clare Mackintosh, as well as the More of Less and Essentialism and Scary Close by Donald Miller and Americanah but I didn't give them 5 stars.

And some other authors that I really enjoy are Lisa Genova and Kate Morton and Kristin Hannah. If you haven't read the Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, you need to read it right NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...