October 19, 2017

Siblings



I always knew I wanted more than one child.

I always knew I wanted to experience the growing and birthing and raising of more than just one.

And not only was that need for more than one purely a selfish desire, but it was also a need and a desire for the sibling relationship.

So when Jack was born, I always knew another one or two would follow.

And if I’m honest, the first 18 months of Ryan’s life, Jack just ran circles around him. They had their own schedules, their own interests, their own limitations on what they could and couldn’t do. And then truly around the 18 month mark, everything changed. Ryan was running circles around Jack, and they were interacting and running circles together.

I never in my wildest dreams could have envisioned just how good it would be to watch their relationship develop.

Good Lord, it's so good.

Watching the two of them is like magic. And ever since Ryan turned two, they’ve been truly inseperable, always watching out for the other one, always giggling and conspiring against me.

The other day, they took everything out of the cabinets, pots, pans, etc. and climbed inside, and I could hear them laughing and giggling and every once in awhile they’d pop their heads out and I’d act surprised to see them, and then they’d retreat back inside.

And a few days before that they were in the bath together, and I just stood right outside the door, just a little out of sight, and I just watched them as they poured water over each other, and just laughed and laughed.

I truly can't get enough of the chaos and the joy. My heart bursts as they call after each other from one room to the next, chasing each other around and around the house.

They are each others biggest fans and biggest tormentors! I have witnessed Jack's encouragement of Ryan to try hard things and seen the pride he has for his brother, always introducing him to his friends..."This is my brother, Ryan." And I have seen Ryan take things out of Jack's hands and run as fast as his little legs can carry him as he attempts to escape the clutches of his big brother.

And as I watch Jack care for Ryan - by bringing him his shoes or making sure he has a snack or bringing water to his room when he requests it or asking if he can sing Ryan night time songs, or crawling into his crib in the morning to be with him, my heart melts.

And as I watch them wrestle on the floor, tormenting each other, climbing all over the other, pining the other to the ground, and covering it all is tears and laughter, and more tears and more laughter, and I just think, this is everything.


This is why you have more than one kid.

This shared history, this shared life, it's such a blessing.

The bond they are creating is marvelous and beautiful and far bigger than anything I could have ever hoped for.

They may not remember these specific moments when they're older, but you better believe I will and I’m sure they’ll remember the laughter and the joy that infiltrated all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...