November 8, 2017

Dear Jack {4.75 years}


Hi sweet boy,

I've just been thinking about you alot lately, and who you are, and wanted to write a little note to let you know just how proud I am of you!

You started at a new school 2 months ago, and you're there 4 days a week, and it's like a true school day, starting at 8:45 and ending at 3:15. And I was hesitant to sign you up for 4 days a week as the thought of not having those days with you broke my heart a little bit. And next year you'll be in Kindegarten 5 days a week, which feels like alot, but in all honesty, it's been a beautiful transition for you. And it was the first time I've dropped you off at a new school and you didn't shed a tear. It probably helps that one of your dearest friends is in your class.

Truly though, you inspire me with how you just enter into a space and wave goodbye and make friends, whether it's at school or the gym or Sunday school or wherever. I don't think I could do that.

Your dad was commenting a few days ago on your emotional intelligence. You are just in tune to the needs of others, exceptionally attentive and extremely affectionate. In fact, your teachers at school are always commenting on how affectionate you are, always hugging the other kids and declaring that you're a hugger! And I can't help but wonder how long that will last, will it always be a part of who you are? Or will that change with time? Will you always be kind and caring and compassionate?

I wonder how much of your 4 year old self will remain in your 14 year old self, or your 24 year old self, or your 34 year old self.

I think 4 might be a favorite age of mine. You are a true delight, and we can have real conversations about life and death, about hopes and dreams, about joy and pain, about choices and consequences, and I love that.

You are an incredible little buddy, and I love seeing the world through your eyes. I love the questions you ask, and your deep curiosity for the goings on in the world and for the way things work. I love that you love to read and I love that you enjoy your time alone and I really love that you can voice your emotions and needs at such a young age.

I just love who you are as a being. I love that God has given me you to raise, and I love watching you grow.

My hope and prayer for you is that you grow up to know yourself, that you may be incredibly self aware, declaring what you need to the world, and responding with a compassionate heart to what the world and individuals also need. May you have eyes to see their hearts and ears to hear their pain and the courage to enter into it.

And may you never ever stop asking questions, and challenging the status quo and the way things are. May this quality serve you well in life and may you see God's face in the eyes of His people and may you love deeply because He first loved us.

I love you,

Mama

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...