May 5, 2014

Books.



I love to read.  And I love to get lost in books.  But don't worry, Jack doesn't let me get lost too long as he normally hollers at me before that happens.

These past three months I read 11 books.  I still don't know how I manage to do this, but I read every single free moment I have.

You can find my first books post here.  Feel free to find me on Goodreads!

The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri.   This was enjoyable if you are interested in reading about different cultures.  It was a little hard to follow at times considering they bounced

Insurgent by Veronica Roth.   This is the second book in the Divergent series.  You know how I feel about the first book (check out last month's book post).  Equally loved the second book, and now I'm just waiting on the third from the library.  However, the third one didn't get as good of reviews as the others, so wondering how this whole thing ends.  Again, if you liked the Hunger Games trilogy, then I think you would like this one.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth.  And this is the third book in the Divergent series. I loved the first and second ones and the third one wasn't my favorite, and I'm still undecided as to how I feel about the ending, but definitely worth a read especially if you have read the first two.

The first phone call from heaven by Mitch Albom.  This was alright, I wasn't really all that impressed, but continued reading it only for the sake of finishing it.

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell.  I enjoyed this, but I appreciate Malcolm Gladwell and all the research that goes into each of his books.  I think I have read all of them - kind of think if you enjoy one Gladwell book you will enjoy them all. Loved the stories and the richness of his research.

Maxed out - american moms on the brink by Katrina Alcorn.   Wow, I loved this book! And I feel like her at times. I get it. I get how hard it is to find a work/family/life balance and how you always feel like you have to choose or as if you are letting someone down whether it's your child or your employer or maybe even your spouse. It's quite the balancing act and it's simply exhausting and stressful.  She shares her experience in a very candid and witty way that I so appreciate.  And talks about how many women have breakdowns because they can't seem to keep their balls afloat, such a juggling act, and it's hard.  Really hard.  Did I say that finding a balance within all these roles is hard? :)

Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. This was a bookclub book, and it was LONG! I read it on my kindle, so I couldn't visually comprehend how long it would be, until a friend told me it was something like 771 pages, and it seemed that long. People rave about this book, and if I'm honest, it was far too long. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I would have liked to. It is a rich book about relationships that last a lifetime!

The English Girl by Daniel Silva.  Have you read anything by Daniel Silva before? I'm sure they are all fairly similiar, but I think this might be my first Silva books, and this one left me wanting more. I loved it!  I suppose I'm a sucker for a spy fiction book, who know! Interesting storyline, and it kept me hooked. I think I might look into reading other books in the Gabriel Allon series.

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.   I read this book because I had loved another one of Moriarty's books - What Alice Forgot (definitely worth the read - about a woman that loses 10 years of her memory after she bumps her head at the gym, and she's not really happy with the woman she has become in the last 10 years! - click on the link to read more).  I enjoy her storytelling from her Aussie perspective, and the Husband's Secret was simply about women and relationships whether with friends or their spouses, but if I'm completely honest, I could have done without it.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I should preface this by saying, I have read EVERY single book by this woman, except one (Lone Wolf) but it's on my list of books to read. So if you like Jodi Picoult then I think it's safe to assume, you will enjoy this book, but if you don't like her, then stay away from anything she writes as most of her books have a common thread and all deal with issues of morality.

Light between Oceans by M.L Stedman. This book was an interesting one as it also dealt with the issue of morality. The husband is a lighthouse keeper on a really small island where the population is 2 (him and his wife) and one day they find a boat with a man and a baby.  Unfortunately the man is did not survive the journey, but the baby did. What is this couple to do with this baby? Do they keep it? Do they inform someone of it's arrival? The couple wrestle with the decision they make for years to come!

Check back the end of May for the next book post! I promise to be more faithful with posting. However, I can't promise I'll have read that many books in a month!

1 comment:

  1. Excited to have some new book recs! I was so sad to leave my book club in D.C. - may have to FaceTime in with them still:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...