February 20, 2013

DIY Project: Baby Crib Paper Mobile.

I had been dying to make a mobile for Little Buddy's space but I just couldn't find the time or the energy to do it. Well, let's just say a little help from a friend goes a long way!!  I told my friend Mary about the mobile and sent her links (here and here and here) to what I was thinking and she offered to help.  Let's just say the mobile instructions required a sewing machine, and I don't own a sewing machine, nor do I really know how to use one, so thank goodness Mary was kind enough to do the sewing part for me!  I should probably add a sewing machine to my wish list of items I wish I had.

Items Needed
scrapbook paper - enough to make around 100 circles
circle cutter or a jar to trace around
ribbon - two rolls
embroidery hoop(s) - you can use one, but I used two to make my mobile more full
glue stick - to glue circles together
glue gun - to glue ribbon to hoop 
sewing machine - to sew through paper and ribbon

So first things first, Mary went out and bought a ton of fancy scrapbook paper that was yellow and grey to go with LB's little nursery colors (like I said she's a great friend!!), and I spent a few nights cutting out the necessary circles for the mobile.  And considering I made a mobile with two embroidery hoops, I needed even more circles - I think it was about 120 circles total.

And then Mary and I reconvened at her home, because like I said...I don't own a sewing machine.  


I first had to decide how many circles I wanted on each piece of ribbon.  And then we spent ages organizing all the circles according to the design, considering we didn't want the same design right next to each other which makes sense right?  However, when all was said and done, we realized it didn't really matter. 

And then I glued all the circles with matching designs together with the ribbon in between, and Mary then sewed through the paper and the ribbon to ensure they stayed in place.


 And if you look close enough, you can see the small stitch right down the middle of the circles.


And then I wrapped that same white ribbon around the embroidery hoop and used a glue gun to ensure the ribbon stayed in place.  And then we began hanging the strips of circles, and I used a glue gun once again to hold all of those in place.  And then we used ribbon to connect the two embroidery hoops and a glue gun once again.  The glue gun was a life saver!  I need to get myself one of those.

And here we have it...the finished product hanging up in Lb's little space.  And it was super easy.  Huge shout out to Mary for providing so many of the goods - the circle cutter, the paper, the glue gun, the skills, the sewing machine, the company, and the home!!  I truly couldn't have done it without you.  I absolutely love it!


Happy crafting!  Already thinking up my next project.  What are you working on??

love,

Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...