January 7, 2014

What a difference a Year makes.

I'm so behind the times, and I meant to post this on new years day, but alas, I didn't.  

So here we are a whole week after new years.

And the theme of the past few weeks has truly been one of nostalgia and reflection.

If you are looking for a birthday post for Jack, this is not it.  But you can find it here.

When December 18, 2013 hit, Peter and I made sure to acknowledge the fact that just one year prior, we were packing our bags to fly out to Ireland.  

And as I sat in the quiet of the house that morning as everyone was still sleeping, I wrote this.  


I am reminded of all that has happened this past year.   I was getting ready to get on a plane to Ireland.  So full of joy and anticipation and excitement to spend the holidays in Ireland with family…our plans were good right?  I mean what could go wrong…and then all those plans came crashing down after our last appointment with our midwife where she informed us we wouldn’t be traveling to Ireland for Christmas after all.  I was devastated, embarrassingly so.  The poor husband having to deal with my emotional mess.  I remember driving home from the appointment, in the pouring rain, and barely being able to see passed my tears.  Oh the tears that were shed.  I remember sobbing uncontrollably, kind of like Cameron Diaz in the movie the Holiday.  

You can read all about my thoughts during this time here.  No need for me to rewrite everything.

But just know that I was hysterical, truly inconsolable, such a wreck and so very angry.  Angry at God, angry at the midwife, angry at my husband, angry at the situation as a whole.  I mean our plans were good, how dare God change them. 

Peter and I had no idea what awaited us in the coming weeks.

And on New Years Eve this year, I just kept thinking ...today was the day I was admitted to the hospital.  I can't believe it's been a year.  And as I read this post, I just kept thinking...My, what a difference a year makes!!  It seems so long ago, yet it seems like it was just yesterday.

And as I sit here a full year later, I laugh…I didn’t know what God was doing at the time, but He knew.  He always does and sometimes He even changes good plans for His glory.  Our hope and prayer is that through that experience and through Jack’s birth story, He would be glorified and honored.  And I’m thankful…so very thankful for all of you.  For your support, for your love and for your endless prayers. 

May you take time to rest in His plans and may you continue to allow the Lord to truly transform you to be used fully for His glory in the coming year!! 

Much love,

The Drennan's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...